Five Pre-Packing Tips to Prepare for a Move
August 27, 2018
If you’ve ever moved once in your life, you’re already aware – Packing can be a hassle and a headache, especially if you wait until the last minute and find yourself having to hustle. To help make the packing process go a little smoother, McKendree Moving & Storage offers these pre-packing tips.
- Start early: At least six weeks before your move, grab a notebook and pen, get comfy and begin to map out your packing plan, outlining what you’ll pack first, which essential items you’ll want to keep handy and deadlines for having each of your packing phases completed. Aim to yourself a day or so between packing and moving day to wrap up last-minute details and relax a bit before hitting the road, especially if you’ll move a long distance.
- Clear out: Go through all of your belongings mercilessly and toss anything you don’t truly want to bring into your new home. Remember that a new home often means a new beginning. Make it a clean start by streamlining your stuff.
- Collect supplies: Before gathering your belongings, gather all the stuff you’ll need to gather your belongings. These include moving boxes of various sizes, markers, sticky labels, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, packing tape and Ziploc bags for all those tiny elements like crews, drawer pulls, etc.
- Sufficiently bribe your friends: Pre-order the pizza or sandwiches, buy the bottled or canned drinks and gather the disposable dinnerware and cups. Load your friends’ favorite tunes on your digital player and start your packing and moving day help recruitment early.
- Relax: Packing and preparing for a move can be chaotic. Take any moment you can to relax, catch your breath and picture yourself happily settled into your new digs.
Need more help? McKendree Moving& Storage offers packing materials and services to help make your move a smooth one. Call 800-530-2626 to find out more.