10 Top Facts and Stats on Moving in America
August 27, 2018
Americans are constantly on the move and we don't mean to work, to the gym or to the mall. Thousands of people living in the United States pack up and relocate to new homes every single day. Check out these facts and stats on "moving" in America:
- One of every six Americans moves each year.
- One third of all renters move each year.
- Westward ho! People living in the west tend to move the most, while their counterparts to the northeast tend to stay put for longer.
- The average American moves 11.7 times during his or her lifetime.
- 100,200,000 people in the US (nearly a third of the nation's population) live in a different place than they did five years ago.
- Government or military relocation prompts 18 percent of moves in America.
- 40 percent of moves are for job-related reasons.
- And the remaining 42 percent of moves are for personal reasons, including being in love.
- 61 percent of movers relocate within the same county, while 9.3 percent take it a bit further, moving at least 500 miles away.
- 31 percent of people choose a neighborhood based on its proximity to their workplace.
No matter how much moving one does, the process is no piece of cake when going it alone. Your best bet for an easier and more pleasurable experience is to hire a professional moving company like McKendree Moving & Storage. We're a fully licensed and insured residential and commercial mover serving the Washington DC metro-area including areas throughout Maryland and Virginia. If you're planning a move, contact our Waldorf, MD location at 301-932-9981 or our La Plata office at 703-538-1747.