Among the most common mistakes of DIY packers and movers is choosing the wrong boxes for the wrong items. Topping the list is big boxes, which inevitably get filled to the rim with all sorts of items that shouldn’t be packed together and end up weighing far more than is easily handled.
Truth be told, effective packing for a move really is a bit of an art and a science. That’s why we here at McKendree Moving & Storage offer professional packing, moving and even unpacking services to help make your move a breeze. But if you’d like to get a head start, we offer these tips for choosing the right boxes for the right items.
- 1.5 cubic foot moving box, 16 x 12½ x 12½ inches: Safely carries up to 60 pounds and is great for books, dishes, kitchen utensils, small appliances, fragile items, lamps or shades.
- 3.0 cubic foot moving box, 18 x 18 x 16 inches: Carries up to 65 pounds and great for clothing, electronics, pots and pans.
- 4.5 cubic foot moving box, 18 x 18 x 24 inches: Holds up to 65 pounds and works beautifully for linens and for larger lamps and kitchen appliances.
- 6.0 cubic foot moving box, 22 x 22 x 21.5 inches: Holds up to 70 pounds and works best for pillows, toys, large blankets and couch or chair cushions.
- 6.1 cubic foot moving box, 24 x 18 x 24 inches: Its rectangular shape makes it great blankets, comforters and cushions and other items that don’t quite fit into the 6.0 cubic box.
- Hanging wardrobe box: These come in multiple sizes and each features a metal bar for hanging closet items and others that you can’t pack flat. Think wedding gowns, chandeliers and delicate wind chimes.
- Lay-down wardrobe box: These boxes resemble dresser drawers and work well for packing clothing that you prefer to only fold once.
- Picture / mirror box: These are designed specifically for mirrors, framed pictures and artwork. They can be telescoped, which means that you can assemble two of them together and fasten them with strong filament tape for a longer fit.
- Dish packs: These are perfect for packing glasses, coffee cups and drink or wine bottles.
- Mattress boxes: These are designed specifically for mattresses from crib-size to king-size. They’re particularly effective for mattresses that will be stored for a while and for protecting them against puncture damage.
For more packing tips, contact McKendree Moving & Storage in Waldorf, Elkridge or La Plata at 800-530-2626.