A smooth moving experience takes forethought, time and energy. Oh, yeah – and money. Even those who attempt DIY moves can count on taking a bit of a financial hit for moving supplies, gas and time away from work. McKendree Moving& Storage offers these top tips for keeping your moving costs to a minimum.
- Lighten your load: If you don’t see yourself using it or wearing it in your new digs, unload it. Offer it up in a yard sale, donate it, dole it out to family and friends or toss it. Got furniture that won’t fit size-wise or style-wise in your new home? Call your local college to see if an incoming student can use it in his or her dorm. Got formalwear you haven’t worn since that fancy company holiday party three years ago? Offer it an organization that provides prom wear to high school students. Got a pantry full of canned and boxed goods? Drop it off at your local homeless shelter, food bank or church. Bottom line – if you don’t need or want it, why pay to move it?
- Be flexible: Weekends and the first and last days of each month are the busiest days for moving companies. That’s why they’re also the priciest. If you’re willing and able to move mid-month and on a weekday, you’re likely to get a better deal.
- Create a budget and stick to it: Talk with your moving company early on to better plan and save. Gather any supplies that you can for free. For instance, ask your workplace, neighbors or stores that you frequent for spare boxes. And plan to pack smaller items and those you’ll need handy in your own vehicle.
McKendree Moving & Storage offers affordable and reliable packing and moving services for residential and corporate moves. Call 800-530-2626 to speak with a moving specialist in our Waldorf, Elkridge or La Plata location today.
If you’ve ever moved once in your life, you’re already aware – Packing can be a hassle and a headache, especially if you wait until the last minute and find yourself having to hustle. To help make the packing process go a little smoother, McKendree Moving & Storage offers these pre-packing tips.
- Start early: At least six weeks before your move, grab a notebook and pen, get comfy and begin to map out your packing plan, outlining what you’ll pack first, which essential items you’ll want to keep handy and deadlines for having each of your packing phases completed. Aim to yourself a day or so between packing and moving day to wrap up last-minute details and relax a bit before hitting the road, especially if you’ll move a long distance.
- Clear out: Go through all of your belongings mercilessly and toss anything you don’t truly want to bring into your new home. Remember that a new home often means a new beginning. Make it a clean start by streamlining your stuff.
- Collect supplies: Before gathering your belongings, gather all the stuff you’ll need to gather your belongings. These include moving boxes of various sizes, markers, sticky labels, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, packing tape and Ziploc bags for all those tiny elements like crews, drawer pulls, etc.
- Sufficiently bribe your friends: Pre-order the pizza or sandwiches, buy the bottled or canned drinks and gather the disposable dinnerware and cups. Load your friends’ favorite tunes on your digital player and start your packing and moving day help recruitment early.
- Relax: Packing and preparing for a move can be chaotic. Take any moment you can to relax, catch your breath and picture yourself happily settled into your new digs.
Need more help? McKendree Moving& Storage offers packing materials and services to help make your move a smooth one. Call 800-530-2626 to find out more.