Looking to sell your home quickly and for the highest price possible? Effective staging is crucial. The key is to strike a balance between making each space appear pristine, yet comfortably lived-in, and to allow prospective buyers to picture themselves spending their days and nights there.
McKendree Moving & Storage offers these 10 top tips for staging your home on a budget:
- Assure a great first impression with a fresh coat of paint on your front door, a few colorful potted plants, a new welcome mat and a manicured lawn.
- Declutter rooms, cabinets and closets for a clean look.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint on any walls that are marked or show wear and tear. Consider white, light citrus tones, sea shades or pastels to help make rooms appear larger.
- Position mirrors to create more light – another trick that also helps make rooms appear larger.
- Minimize window dressings to allow more natural light to fill rooms.
- Choose gender-neutral colors and décor so that any buyer can picture himself or herself in the space.
- Put away personal photos. Again, a key to selling a home is to allow prospective buyers to picture themselves living there.
- Borrow or rent furniture if yours is worn. Choose clean, neutral, streamlined pieces.
- Rid your home of odd or unpleasant smells such as odors, mothballs and last night’s dinner. Use odor neutralizing candles, air fresheners and diffusers, but don’t overdo it. An overpowering scent, whether pleasant or not, won’t help.
- Add a few accents that make the home look lived-in. Options include a bouquet of fresh flowers in the bedroom, a bottle of wine on the kitchen table and a modern painting with a refreshing splash of color on the living room wall.